Normally a custom bike does not get a frame designation, but the Optimator was never going to be an ordinary frame design to begin with. Originally conceived as a one off bike for a Sage Factory Team rider who wanted a weapon to destroy all XC races he entered, the design became so popular within the team, that a limited run was produced and a name bestowed on this model to ensure it properly represented the brand.
The “Bangkok Edition” of the bike came about around the same time Shimano launched their latest XTR offering. Using that groupset as our component starting point, the objective of the game changed into who could go the most “extreme” with their build while still keeping it as a functioning race bike that they would race week in and week out. The version you see here is just one example of how you could customize the bike to your hearts desires.
- Build Spec:
- Optimator XCO Titanium Frame
- Cockpit: Enve M5 Bar/ Stem, Fox Factory Transfer Seatpost- 150mm Drop
- Fork: Fox Factory Stepcast 34 w/ 100mm Travel Reduction Kit, custom graphics
- Drivetrain: Shimano XTR M9100 Brake Levers/ Calipers/ Rear Derailleur/ Shift Pod, Cane Creek EE Wing Titanium Cranks, KMC X12SL Ti-Nitride Chain, Praxis Works Chainring, SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold Cassette
- Headset/ BB: Chris King i7/ Threadfit 30mm
- Wheelset: Enve M525 w/ custom graphics
- Tires: Maxxis Ardent Race 29×2.2 front/ Maxxis Ikon 29×2.2 Rear
- Grips: Lizard Skins Macaskill
- Saddle: Sage Beccus