For many people, a bicycle represent a personal connection to something or someone that goes well beyond the simple design of the equipment itself. It can mean so much to an individual that it can be difficult to explain. We have all had that feeling at one point or another in our lives.
Your connection to a bicycle, in a physical sense, happens at 3 points: Your hands/ feet/ and rear end. The nerves in our hands and our feet relay information to our brains that helps us process what is happening around us. It through that flow of information that you are able to make split second decisions while riding. It is here that you form the bond with the bike as you understand its nuances.
In the case of this particular Barlow, the request was made to “choose colors and memories that make me happy”. In order to make this truly personalized, we came up with some logo representation for what mattered most to this customer. We put them on the top tube so whenever the going gets tough and his head hangs low, he only needs to open his eyes and see the things he loves the most staring right back at him.
- RAV = Spouse’s Initials
- Mountain = Mt. Hood (Iconic mountain here in Oregon)
- Anchor = US Navy
- Dog = Old English Sheepdog
In his own words: “The process of designing for cerakote was about finding a way to connect me with the bike in an emotional way. Basically, moving from a transactional relationship (great ride) to an emotional connection (great ride AND reminder to count my blessings).”
- Build Spec:
- Frame: Barlow
- Custom Finish: Multiple Cerakote colors
- Fork: Enve All-Road (custom painted)
- Drivetrain: Shimano Ultegra R8070 Di2 drivetrain (Shimano RD-RX805 Rear Derailleur) w/ Stages LR Power Meter/ Dura-Ace crankset
- Cockpit: Zipp Service Course Bar and Stem w/ Zipp integrated computer mount- Custom painted bars and stem, Lizard Skins DSP 3.2mm Bar Tape, Chris King Inset 8 Headset and Headset Spacer in Matte Turquoise, Sage Beccus Saddle
- Seatpost/ Seatpost Collar/ Saddle: Sage Titanium seatpost and Seatpost collar- Seatpost and Seatpost Collar custom painted, Sage Beccus Classic Owl Saddle
- Wheels/ Tires: Enve 4.5AR w/ Industry Nine hubs, Schwalbe G-One 700×30 tires
- Frame: Barlow