Since its launch in 2019, the Storm King has developed into quite the versatile bike. Race bike, trail bike, adventure bike, or even bikepacking, the Storm King does it all. The list of customers who build up different variants of the bike is constantly changing as well. Some builds are more “raw” while others can be more polished. Some have basic builds, while still others get unique build choices that we just don’t see every day. It’s one of those unique build choices that we are here to pay our respects to as the build on this bike is absolutely drool worthy in every respect.
When Robbie D. reached out to us about wanting his next gravel bike to be something he could “geek out on”, we said we were happy to oblige as we knew this was going to be one of those builds that we all could geek out on. Robbie wanted a bike that was designed to handle everything from “ripping singletrack to bikepacking adventures”. He already had a fit from a previous bike that he loved and wanted to match up, so it was easy for us to duplicate that for his new SAGE.
For the finish of the bike, Robbie wanted some colors that reflect his home in the high desert of New Mexico. Thus, the brown with a hint of green like the desert and the pink representing the Sandia Mountains when the sunset hits it just right. Cerakote was the chosen medium for the finish work due to the durability and general toughness of the material. It’s designed to take abuse in the harshest of environments and it does not get much more harsh than the high desert of New Mexico.
Here are Robbie D’s own words regarding the parts spec on the bike: “This bike and most of my bikes are about personal touches and details that make it my bike. The Ingrid Cranks, for the weight and stiffness plus the polished silver style that matches the Hope RX4+ disc brake calipers and rotors. Look at these HiFi 45s, I feel they are the most versatile wheels out of the HiFi line up for me. The depth of 45s makes it aerodynamic, stiff and the real estate for the custom decals makes me smile.”
It’s the unique touches that make a bike personal. Cycling is a very deep sport with plenty of history behind it. The connections that people have to their bikes can transcend the sport and form a deep personal bond between rider and bike. That is what we strive for at Sage and what Rob has done here with his Storm King.
- Build Spec:
- Frame: Storm King with Two Tone Cerakote Finish
- Fork: Enve Adventure Fork with custom Cerakote Finish
- Headset/ BB: Chris King Inset 7 Headset/ Headset Spacer/ T47 24X BB: Silver
- Cockpit: Enve M6 Carbon Stem/ SES AR Bar/ Carbon Seatpost with custom finished titanium seatpost collar, HiFi Custom Bar Tape
- Drivetrain: SRAM Red AXS Shifters with Hope RX4+ silver calipers and Hope 2 Piece Rotors/ SRAM XX1 Eagle Rear Derailleur with XG-1299 Rainbow 10-52 Cassette. Ingrid Cranks with Ingrid Chainring
- Wheelset: HiFi 45 Disc Carbon Clinchers with Custom HiFi logos, Vittoria Terreno Dry 700×47 tan sidewalls